Udine is a tranquil town and a flourishing trading centre with luxury shops mostly situated in via Rialto. The heart of Udine is Piazza Libertà (Square of Liberty) where its main monuments are located: the white and pink coloured Loggia del Lionello, erected in 1448, is a splendid example of Gothic-Venetian style; the Statua della Pace (Statue of Peace) was given as a gift to the town by Emperor Frances 1st on the occasion of the Treaty of Campoformido; the two Moors (1850) which strike the hours on the Clock Tower. From Piazza Libertà, along the Gothic-Venetian style frescoed colonnade, we can get up to the hill of the Castle. Legend tells that from this hill Attila looked at Aquileia on fire. On the top of the hill the Castle stands out: it is an elegant palace in Renaissance style situated in the greenery of hedges and creepers. It was destroyed by a fire in 1511 and rebuilt in 1517-1595. From via Mercatovecchio (Old Market), with its characteristic colonnades where shops and cafès are located, we arrive to Piazza Matteotti – St. Giacomo seat of important events such as the antique fair (held on the first Sunday of the month) and Friuli DOC (held in October) an international fair whose main role is played by the typical products of the region. Both events are surely not to be missed. Going in search of Giambattista Tiepolo’s paintings is an interesting route of visit. Start with the imposing Duomo, the main church of Udine (its oldest part dates back to 1335) whose interiors in baroque style offer precious works by the painter. Continue with the near Oratorio della Purità (Oratory of Purity) where the fresco of “Assunta“, one of the best artist’s masterpieces, is displayed. Then go to Palazzo Arcivescovile (Archibishop’s Palace) magnificently frescoed by Tiepolo in 1726-28 and to the Salone del Parlamento (Parliament Hall) of the Patria del Friuli.